Monday, May 25, 2009

All done with radiation!

Friday I had my last radiation treatment. They gave me a certificate signed by all the lab technicians and I rang the "All done" bell. It feels good to reach another milestone! My doctor said that I may experience some burning this week and that it will take two weeks to get the radiation out of my body. The chemo takes longer to leave the body. So I will feel some effects for awhile. But at least we're not putting any more in!

The sad news is that Krystal broke her ankle a week ago so her family did not come down from Alaska to visit. She can't travel for 6 weeks because of the danger of blood clots. We're hoping they can come later in the summer. The other bad news is that Gary's dad is not doing well. He was put into a hospice facility last Monday and is not expected to live much longer. Gary has been in Washington since Wednesday and comes home today. Life is full of change and challenges. We continue to pray for the strength to deal with them each day.

My hair is slowly starting to reappear. I have a bit of fuzz all over with a few longer hairs, kind of like the doll in Toy Story :-) I'm quite attached to my wig. I call it Eunice (think "What's up Doc" the movie). I even forget I have it on, which is terrible if I am cooking something in the oven. The heat can totally ruin a wig. So I try to remember to exchange it for a hat or scarf when I am at home.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I'm so happy that you're done with treatments. Sorry to hear about Krystal's mishap and Gary's Dad. We'll continue to pray for you and your family. And by the way, you did an amazing job on Sunday. I wanted to talk to you about it, but you were surrounded by everyone in the ward! :) Good job!