Thursday, May 14, 2009

10 down, 6 to go

I've had 10 radiation treatments. It's a bit of a hassle driving from South Jordan to 39th South and 7th East at 4:00 every day. But the treatment itself is short and mostly painless. I am tired (what's new) but haven't yet had the sunburn-like effect that some have. I see that light at the end of the tunnel on May 22. And my daughter Krystal and her family are coming to visit from Alaska on the 23rd. That really sounds fun!

We had an amazing experience last Saturday. Gary, Andrea, and I took part in "The Race for the Cure". There were 18,000 people there and everyone was wearing race T-shirts with signs saying "In memory of..." or "In celebration of...". Needless to say, I was fighting the tears all morning. We walked the 3 miles and then I participated in a parade of survivors. They gave the survivors each a pink rose. The 25-30 year survivors started the parade and the newbies like me, 1-5 years were at the end. We assembled on the steps at the Gateway. The crowd cheered and waved, the bands played music, and they released 50 doves into the air to close the ceremony. It was really touching and again, I shed many tears.

No comments: