Thank goodness it's Friday. This week has been a little harder than last. For one thing, Andrea shaved my head last Saturday. So I'm wearing the wig at school, church, and choir and hats/scarves at home. I thought I would fly through the change but no. Sunday I was in shock, Monday I felt strange all day at school, and Tuesday I was downright depressed. My kids all tell me I have a great head and a natural looking wig but when I look in the mirror I think "Who is that?!" And it's pretty freaky to think it will be like this for at least 6 months till it grows back. I know there's a lot to be grateful for. But I still have to face the reality right now.
I also felt more fatigue this week. I made the mistake of going to a 2 hour professional development meeting after school Monday and came home exhausted. I was supposed to go to a training Tuesday but decided I have to limit after school activities so I didn't go. I am glad to be teaching each day. Once I start the day I am so distracted that I can't think of anything but the immediate crisis at school. That's good! I still have bone pain, some times worse than others, but it is manageable with Ibuprofen. I also have a metallic taste in my mouth all the time. But no nausea, no mouth sores, my eyes are fine so far - I know I am blessed. I have my Nadir blood test on Monday and I hope all my numbers will be good.
What will I gain from this experience? Will I know myself better (hair or no hair)? Will I be more compassionate of others who go through hard things? Maybe there are lessons I could only learn in this way.
Friday, March 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love you. I bet you are cuter than you think :) Remember that "eye of the beholder" line?
You are an inspiration, Deb! We continue to pray for you daily. You are a beautiful person, inside and out---hair or no hair! Hang in there! We love you!
Post a Comment