At the chemo class on Wednesday, one of the cancer survivors said, "Chemo isn't the enemy. Chemo is killing the enemy." I may need your help remembering that later on. But so far, I am feeling ok. Yesterday my face was flushed all day and I felt a little weird. I rested a lot. Today I went to Tabernacle Choir, to sacrament meeting, and to see my niece's son get ordained a teacher. I haven't had to take any nausea medicine. I must admit I slept terrible last night, tossing and turning all night. I hope since I didn't have to take the Decadron today I will sleep well tonight.
I want to explain why there are so many side effects to chemo. Chemotherapy contains chemicals that kill all fast growing cells in the body. Of course, cancer cells grow fast. But so do blood cells, certain cells in your stomach and digestive tract, hair and nail cells, etc. and those cells are damaged or killed too. The good news is that they will grow back.
I also want to let you know, especially my family, that I had another genetic test to determine if I have the gene which predisposes a person for breast cancer. It came back negative so I don't have the gene. That is good news for my daughters and my sister's daughter. But it is also good news for me because if I had the gene I would be very likely to get ovarian cancer.
You can comment on my email dkmartin@sisna.com or below each entry. And you can assume that if I don't post for awhile, no news is good news! So far, so good!
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Your blog is already set up for comments. We only need to click on the "comments" word at the bottom of your post. We are praying for you, that you can lead a mostly normal life throughout this trial and that the real enemy will die!
Post a Comment